Saturday, September 24, 2005

First days in Birmingham

I was very lazy to update the blog but gotta do it anyway. Juz wanna update u guys about how my life is going on ... to whom it may concern ( and to those it does not too ^^ ) ...
The first day was really tired to me. After a long flight from Singapore, I stepped out to Heathrow Airport at London around 12.30pm. I catched a coach to Birmingham at 2.30pm and reached Birmingham city at 5.45pm. I rushed to my school in order to get my housing contract but it was too late, the Housing Services office was closed! And when I was thinking about sleeping under the moonlit sky that night, a group of female students passed by and brought me to Shackleton hall where I can register a room for one night. They even helped me to carry my luggages! Such a good impression at first to students over here!
The second day was meant to get my housing contract and getting around school, registering with the university to get ID card, familiarising myself with the campus. I got back to my room late afternoon and moved to my contracted room where I will be spending my whole first year over here. Luckily it was only about 200 metres away from that room. I share the flat with 5 other guys: 4 locals and 1 American. The American was the most friendly one of all but I dont mean the rest are not friendly, maybe it's the way British people are.
The third day was going well too. I got a bank account opened and met a professor from my school of Computer Science. He briefly told us about our course ( me and other 4 direct entry students ) and guided us around the school. After that, I made a trip downtown to the city centre, visited Bullring shopping centre - the Europe's largest city retail development. Well, Bullring itself and walking streets around that areas made me fall in love with + a cool windy autumn day created a perfect afternoon out.
Today the only activity was photographing! I took photos of my room, the campus and the city ( again i went downtown cause I wanted to take photos of the city centre so much! ). The most important thing I bought today was the LAN cable! I forgot to buy it yesterday so I can only go online to post smt today. Enough said, here are photos:

Start from my room...
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Out of the window...
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My block - one of Elgar Court's 4 blocks...
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The Vale... beautiful scenery on my way to campus...
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

University campus...
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Great hall...
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The clock - looks like Big Ben in London ... lol
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Main library
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

School of Computer Science
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Michael Faraday statue - he was a student here
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And city centre...
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

One special thing in Birmingham ( maybe it's there in other cities as well ^^ ): I can see spaceships launched everyday on the sky! I'm not really sure that they are launched or juz fly across the sky... Anyway, it was always nice to see that...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



Carpe diem

No comments: